Google
 

Monday, September 03, 2007

On a Brighter Big Yellow Note

My love/unhealthy dependence on post-its is pretty evident. (If you don't believe me, click here, here, here, here, or here.) Well, I came across this cool article in The Post about people who collect post-its, grocery lists, and the like.

Bill Keaggy, the founder of Grocerylists.org, was leaving a grocery store one day when a sort of “silly serendipity” struck: he found a grocery list on a yellow Post-it note. The list itself was nothing special, but much like Raviv, Keaggy found himself fixating on the person it belonged to.

“It was so ordinary - and that’s exactly why it was so great,” he says. “I like the little things in life that people don’t pay attention to. But it’s details like these that make up the minutes of our lives.”

He was particularly struck by the honesty of grocery lists. They aren’t meant to be seen by anyone else, even though the contents of the grocery carts end up on a conveyor belt in plain view of everyone.

“One of my favorites was one that had obviously been written by a wife to her husband,” he says. “She wrote, ‘Coke, bread, milk, If you buy more rice I’ll punch you.’ And I just thought that was so great. There’s a life behind each list.”

Among all the Webcams and reality TV and MySpace pages and Match.com, whose slogan is “It’s OK to look,” there is something quaint and endearing about this voyeuristic fascination with the written word. It’s old-school nosiness of the small-town, front-porch variety.

You can read the rest of the article HERE. Hope you enjoy my quaint post-its along with my scrapes and bruises.

No comments: