Google
 

Monday, September 03, 2007

FIBA Americas Team Photos

Now that the FIBA Americas tournament is over, I thought I'd do a proper send off with some team photos. I love team photos. They remind me of class pictures from elementary school when someone inevitably ends up being caught mid-sneeze or picking his nose. For the most part, the teams photographed quite nicely. Here are some of the ones that stood out.

(Click to enlarge)
Perhaps I'm a little biased, but I feel Team USA photographed the best. It has nothing to do with looks, but more with the ability to get a group of 16 people to look straight and not blink at the same time. That's how you know whether a group of individuals can truly work as a team.

Additionally, I think the US and Canada had the best uniforms. They were simple and streamlined with the team name and number prominently displayed. Nothing fancy or difficult to read.


Argentina. They had the funniest picture by far. Chester the Molester in the front row looks like he's about to attack a ball boy as Luis Scola looks on in shock. Carlos Delfino looks like he wants to share more than his leg with his neighbor.

My one point of contention with Argentina is their flopping uniforms. The colors are great, the font is great, but where is the team name on that uniform? When Shaq left for Miami, I was talking to my cousin (a diehard Laker fan) and she started attacking him. I was like, "What the hell? You LOVE Shaq! You call him Shaq Daddy!!" And she responded simply with, "It's not the name on the back but the name on the front that matters." I think Team Visa should consider that before Beijing next year. Their fans came out in full force though. Face paint, flags, and bullhorns - they were a sight to behold.


Honorable mentions to Mexico and the Virgin Islands, two of my favorite teams to watch in the tournament.

Photo Source: FIBA Americas

No comments: